A young boy named David has trouble writing stories until
one day the teacher has them make collages and write about the story they
created. David becomes an amazing story maker after realizing that the words he
needed for his stories that would disappear before he could write them now
stayed in the pictures he had made. When he forgot something all he needed to
do was look back at the pictures he had made.
Author of “The Power of Pictures” Beth Olshansky begins her
book with this story about a visual learner stuck in a verbal learning world.
She talks about her own experience as a child when her father asked who the “good
students” were. Her father was referring to the students who were good in the
3r’s (reading, writing, and ‘rithmatic). What does that make the other
students? The “bad students” were good in art like she was but did the other
teachers know about their strength or just their weakness.
The great minds of the new age, from Einstein to Thomas Edison,
were often ridiculed in school for not being verbal learners. Most had some
form of dyslexia, in the broad term meaning a difficulty with words. These
visual learners would start most of their ideas with a sketch and then write
out the details, much like David.
School systems were created for the verbal learner causing
visual learners to fall behind and get picked on. This causes low self esteem
in children due to the favoritism of the classroom. Government aid programs
such as No Child Left Behind just make it harder for the educators to help
because they are so overwhelmed by standardized tests; which is a fully verbal
learning test. The system as a whole ignores student’s strength and beats up on
their weakness.
Research shows nearly all children are visual and
kinesthetic learners but when it comes to verbal learning only 2/3 of children
make it leaving 1/3 at a disadvantage in the verbal heavy schools. These non verbal
learners are often mislabeled as ADD or AD/HD due to the fact that they do not
fit into our verbal learning world. Most educators, principals, test makers,
and educational administrators are verbal learners. Visual learners almost
never reach a position of educational change let alone one that would affect
literacy.
Pictures were mans first language and they function as each
of our first language when we reach the age where we can grasp a stick or crayon,
and write in the mud or on the walls. Our instinct to alter what is put before
us is so great that it can sometimes even hinder us when it is taken away to be
replaced by a new language. Instead of using
pictures to learn writing we are told to abandon drawing all together this
leave children stranded grasping to learn a hard new concept that some of them
will understand and some will never fully get.
The student that doodles is telling you how he learns, but
is punished by a system that is designed to favor verbal learners. This is how
educators were taught to teach in a verbal manner. We need to change the system
so that all students learn not just verbal learners.
There is a marriage between pictures and words. “I see what you mean”, is when words take
on an almost visual nature and “A picture says
a thousand words”, is meaning that a good visual representation can speak its
scene.
When reading/writing parts make up the whole where as in pictures
the image is viewed as a whole first and then broken down into parts that are
added in to deepen the whole of the image.
To end today’s blog visual and verbal learning together expands our capacity to think
in new ways.
I was intrigued by your description of your book last night in "class". I made a note of it and wanted to check out your blog about it. I do have to agree that visual learning should be a regular part of the learning process for students. Some of my children's teachers have tried to incorporate some art into lessons but not really in the way described above. As I think of my 6th grader who had to read a variety of books then create either a poster, journal, or cooking project for each, but the teacher assigned the what the creative component was going to be for each book.
ReplyDeleteThis is one book that I have put on my amazon list to get in the near future. Thanks for sharing.
OMG, I could not agree more! As a child I was a totally visual learner, but unfortunately I didn't know what that was or how to describe why I couldn't "get" things that other people got. It's so true that when a classroom full of students is presented with a word, they could all associate it with a bazillion meanings. But, show them a picture, or a video, or act it out, and it is suddenly narrowed down. I loved your example of the kid who made a collage of what he was learning about. I think having kids take notes in the form of a cartoon or a pictorial guide can be so useful for those of us who remember better when we SEE something.
ReplyDeleteAnd, as a footnote of hope(!), I am now perfectly capable of learning in a verbal environment. I've adapted. But I do realize that happened way after I graduated from school.
I read this blog post with interest. I love the idea of the visual and I certainly get that some of our students are definitely visual learners. Visual writing makes complete sense, afterall look at the expanding libraries of graphic novels. I also have experienced first hand a student who was autistic and who I could only reach through visuals. He made the most incredible story boards in my class for the stories we were reading. His depth of understanding and his insights into the material were beyond words -- literally beyond words but his pictorial representations were amazing.
ReplyDeleteI apologize, I had a post typed out and I just lost it. I will do my best to summarize the points I made.
ReplyDeleteI loved the topic of your book. I love the idea that visual learners can begin an idea with a sketch and then write out the context in detail.
I completely agree that our scholastic institutions were created for the verbal learner and disregard the causing visual learners to fall behind and get picked on. This disregard the needs of visual learners. I see the dominance of verbal teaching also affect English Language Learners and also cause low self-esteem in these children. The funniest part being that a picture translates into any language. Yet, I rarely see this style of visual learning encouraged or used to develop a second language acquisition. This further creates a problem in standardized tests. I completely agree that the system ignores other forms of academic strengths just because they aren't conventional.
Lastly, I find it ironic that in our increasingly growing technological we use images, pictures, and visual stimulation constantly through society social media, marketing, and online news. Every major company has an iconic symbol for their business. Every newspaper uses a dominant picture or a video clip to break up text heavy news coverage. Yet, in a classroom we discourage visual behavior that is natural. Very interesting book!
I liked what you wrote about visual and verbal learners. It really made me think about the fact that education is verbal learner dominated. There needs to more recognition and validation of visual learners. I think collage is a great way to allow students to instantly communicate and reinforce ideas.
ReplyDelete