Sunday, July 6, 2014

Artist/Writer Workshop

There are four steps that guide students through a systematic progression. This process includes visual as well as verbal learning and allows the student to go back and forth between the two as they need.
The first step is called Literature Share/Discussion where a chosen piece of literature is discussed. The literature is based on the topic you are currently learning about. For younger children a picture book is recommended. For example Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"
The point is to show the details in pictures is just as important as words in a story creating process.
After you have gone through your chosen literature you can go through a "dry run" as a class. Run through all the steps and ideas. Encouraging your students to work based on their learning style.
Begin your work session and allow students to write, draw, collage or jump between all three.
Once a students work is complete  both picture and story frame it in some way to finalize the work. Invite students to share their choice of their story, picture, or both. Keep track of who shares so that by the end of the semester everyone has had a chance to share.
With this method students find that they can move naturally and freely between words and pictures with ease.
Once a student sees themselves as a writer or artist they being reading like a writer and seeing like an artist.


4 comments:

  1. The last chapter in my book talked about allowing students to extend their understanding through the use of art, drama, and other creative methods. They talked about not doing these types of activities just for the shake of doing them but to allow the students to have a way to connect and express themselves in a way that is meaningful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kathrine,
    My book also stressed the benefits of allowing students to express their learning through a variety of outlets- writing, drawing, acting, etc. I am definitely going to incorporate this where I can in my classroom. I feel like just because someone CAN write, doesn't mean that they should write, if they enjoy acting more, for example. By expressing themselves in a manner that they enjoy and feel excited about, they will no doubt recall that lived experience much better. I know this is true for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great way for students to demonstrate their understanding of the material. Letting students using different creative ways not only provides evidence of learning, it also re-enforces their learning of the material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this approach. I think many students are usually given one option to respond to a lesson and don't even know their learning style. This approach gives students autonomy. They can experiment with what helps them learn. I think the experimentation will help with retention.

    ReplyDelete